The Incredibles (GC) Review

                                                        The Incredibles
                                    A Journalistic Review by DefiantParrot 
                                             Originally Written 8/16/2017
                                          *Spoilers May Be Ahead*

Developer: Heavy Iron Studios
Image result for The Incredibles Gamecube cover
(1) Please Be Good
Publisher: THQ
Platform: Nintendo Gamecube
Genre: Action-Adventure, beat’em up
Release: October 31, 2004

Movie tie-in video games have a reputation, a well-deserved reputation for being bad games. Cash grabs, churned out just to make some extra bucks off the popularity of the movie. It wasn’t always like this and there are exceptions but too many times have gamers been burned by these to not be cautious.

Today’s game is also a movie-tie in, however it’s a tie in to a movie that in theory would make a fantastic game… in theory.

Image result for The Incredibles 2004 Gameplay
(2) Looking good Helen
Pixar makes fantastic movies and in my opinion their best is The Incredibles. A superhero movie done extremely well The Incredibles is the Fantastic 4 movie we all deserved and with its sequel coming next year I figured now was the best time to see if The Incredibles video game is as good as it’s movie. Or at least half as good, I’d take that too. I know how these things usually go but this isn’t just a tie-in, it’s also a superhero video game! How can you mess that up?

The game follows the events of the movie, so there will be battles against the intimidating Omnidroid and adventuring through Nomanisan Island just like the film.

However unlike the film there’s barely a plot in this game. While it does follow the events of the movie and uses cutscenes from the film to progress through the levels they do an extremely poor job in informing the player of what the hell is going on!
Mind you after seeing the movie I could follow this easily, but to anyone who hasn’t this will be a confusing mess. Now mind you the game was released before the film so I can understand not wanting to spoil the plot of the film, but there had to be a far better way to do this.

The Incredibles has several different gameplay styles in it as well, which I believe makes the game extremely uneven.

(3) Can't Touch This!
For most of the game you will be controlling the titular Mr. Incredible who you play as for 12 of the 18 levels in this game. As Mr. Incredible your gameplay will consist of battling several goons and solving very minor puzzles with equally minor platforming sections sprinkled throughout.

Mr. Incredible controls pretty well he can punch to attack his enemies, grab them and various objects to use as projectiles and through defeating enemies and gathering pick-ups he can build up a second meter below his health bar and perform an Incredi-Move! These can be a super powerful punch or leaping and smashing the ground etc.

Before speaking on the other characters I have two complaints, the first is solely for Mr. Incredible. There were many occasions I would attempt to pick up an object and Mr. Incredible just wouldn’t pick it up, it’s as if the item can be picky on how it wants to be picked up. I’m not sure what’s going on with it, but I can say it lead to many frustrating moments and a few deaths, particularly against the Omnidroid.

My second complaint is the camera. While not absolutely dreadful I had a few occasions where the camera would lose it’s fucking mind and either get stuck and not want to move no matter how much I tried, or would move even when my hand was nowhere near the C stick, now these didn’t happen often but they still shouldn’t have happened at all.
Image result for The Incredibles game Omnidroid Boss Fight
(4) Fuck This Fight, Fuck This Fight, FUCK THIS FIGHT!!

Where the camera is the worst however is during the first two fights with the Omnidroid. The camera wants to focus on the giant black testicle the whole fight, and while that’s fine for the most part. If you need to search for health in your little arena it is absolutely painful fighting with the camera to try and see the other end of the arena while it is doing its best to stay focused on the stupid black ball as if it is an easily skittish centerfold in the middle of a photoshoot.

Related image
(5) Best Character in the game right here
Anyway the other gameplay styles involve Elastigirl A.K.A. Mrs. Incredible who controls much like her husband and who is personally my favorite character to play due to how much reach she has with her stretching powers. An enemy that would annoy me as Bob I can easily defeat with Helen and that feels good! However she only has three levels in the whole game!

Next is Bob and Helen’s son Dash. As you would expect he has the superpower of being the Flash. Dash’s levels are basically endless running sections, which remind me of the Mach Speed sections from Sonic ’06. Don’t worry this game is nowhere near that bad but a lot of Dash’s gameplay is trial and error. Getting to the next checkpoint and messing up three to four times before reaching the next one.
Image result for The Incredibles game Dash
(6) Padding padding padding!!

But if you’re not a fan of these don’t worry, there are only two Dash levels in the entire game and one level just consists of him going to school… No seriously that’s a level in this game!

But at least they padded the game to give Dash more than one level, Violet only gets one! Jeez who did she piss off? But maybe I shouldn’t complain much since Violet’s level is the worst in the game.

To explain her level is extremely easy, it’s Metal Gear Solid. Violet’s level is a stealth section where her invisibility drains very quickly, she takes one hit and dies, and you have no way of using her force field abilities. This is an extremely frustrating level and just breaks the pace of this action game.

Image result for The Incredibles game Violet
(7) Fuck This too
The final gameplay style is the Incredi-Ball where Dash and Violet team up to basically be Super Monkey Ball. It’s extremely easy, short and so forgettable I actually forgot it was in this game until I looked back over my notes.

So yeah there are several different styles of gameplay on display here. My problem with this is this game does none of these very well. Mr. and Mrs. Incredibles levels are okay but nothing special, Dash’s levels are annoying and Violet’s level is a bad stealth section for only one level. Oh and the ball sucks too.

Image result for The Incredibles game Violet
(8) The game suffers from too many gameplay styles
I understand wanting to show off all of the characters in this game, however maybe focusing on one of these gameplay styles and doing everything to make it great instead of creating several lackluster ones would have been a better approach.

Oh and this is minor but why can’t I play as Jack-Jack?!

Some of the platforming in this game can be pretty tight with several times I just slid off a platform to my death irritating me to no end, particularly in the Apartment Inferno level.

This game also has knockback, which is as bullshit here as it was in Blood of the Werewolf. No, no I don’t want to hear it, knockback is an extremely stupid way to add difficulty to a game and in my opinion has no business being anywhere near my games. Especially one released in 2004!
(9) I'm not paying for that

Now I know it sounds like I hate this game. I really don’t, it’s nowhere near as bad as others hell not even as bad as Hercules. There are good things in this game.

First off the game looks pretty good and I don’t just mean the scenes from the movie. In motion the game looks pretty nice for a Gamecube title. While the character models can look… off at times it’s not something that bothered me. The sound in the game is also really good with music from the film and others sounding really good to my ears.
The voice acting is also okay, it is unfortunate that the only actor to be in this game is Samuel L. Jackson and while he is and always will be awesome! Maybe the other actors not returning are the reason why they focused so heavily on the movie clips.

Image result for The Incredibles game Battle Mode
(10) There's really no point to this mode
There are collectibles that can be gathered in the levels by all characters which unlocks concept art and artwork to be viewed. Not something I really care about but could be enjoyed by some. There is also a Battle Mode which can be unlocked in which you take control of either Mr. or Mrs. Incredible and battle waves of foes until you either die or finish the final wave. A nice edition for those who enjoy the combat in this game however it would’ve been nice if finishing it unlocked anything.

I finished it with both characters and yes while you can collect some bonuses as you play they are still just artwork. It would’ve been cool if it maybe unlocked a secret level where you play as Frozone, or Syndrome. Oooh! Maybe as Jack-Jack destroying Metroville! Hey I can dream can’t I?
Image result for The Incredibles Monster Jack Jack
(12) Yeah that's what I want!!

The final highlight of this game is of course the Cheat Codes. Man, just like Spider-Man it is refreshing to go back to when these were prevalent in games.
Such as your typical big head mode or turning on one hit kills after you’ve gotten annoyed at the Omnidroid, which I did to finish the second boss fight with it. Leave me alone! I Have no shame!!!

These can add some fun and replayability to the game, although it’s worth stating there are other better games out there that also have cheat codes.

All in all The Incredibles video game was an extremely disappointing experience. And while originally when I began writing this I was fighting with myself on what to give this game. I want to give this game my Bronze I really do because I love the movie so much and I really want to like this game. But this isn’t the movie this didn’t bring me endless joy and numerous laughs. This game gave me several headaches and a single tear for what could have been.

Image result for Disappointed Meme
(13) You said it man
And what’s most important, it wasn’t fun to play for 90% of the time.

The Incredibles for the Nintendo Gamecube receives no seal. It doesn’t even deserve Bronze.


This game also has a handheld port and a sequel so maybe those are better. In time we’ll see however I will not be holding my breath.






Comments

Popular Posts