DefiantParrot's Top 12 Best Games of 2019


Image result for games of 2019 banner
Whooo!!!!

Well here we are folks another year about to be in the rear view and it was a pretty good year for gaming. So just to point this out as always I have not played every game that has come out this year matter of fact many of the games on this list are games that I haven't finished.

But my critique hat is for when I review games these aren't reviews this is just me being a biased asshole and saying these were the twelve games this year that I enjoyed the most so here we go!





Image result for Days Gone
Number Twelve: Days Gone

So we kick off this list with Days Gone a game that I admit barely made it here. It was a toss up between this and another game and while Days Gone isn't without its problems it's a game that I really enjoyed. I've hear people say that they felt the game was underdeveloped and I can't entirely argue with that it could have been so much more but for what it is I did enjoy riding my motorcycle through this world and killing zombies. Zombies are something that I feel have been done to death and if you are going to incorporate zombies into your game you have to be careful and I did have fun playing this game and in the end that's what matters.


Related image
Number Eleven: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

So here we come to a Zelda remake that admittedly I never really wanted. Also I suppose I should point out I never played the original Link's Awakening and this remake definitely feels like a handheld game. But the game is on this list so I obviously liked it. I love the art style, I love Koholint Island as a whole. The game is shorter than I would have liked but I did have a smile on my face most of the way through. I did experience some slowdown and other tiny little hiccups that kept this game from being farther up the list, but if you never experienced the original I'd definitely recommend you this version of Link's Awakening. It's simply the best way to play it.







Image result for Control video game
Number Ten: Control

So here's one that I admittedly haven't finished yet but holy fuck have I enjoyed my time with it. Control is one of the best Action-Adventure games that I have played in a long while. The callbacks and downright references to Alan Wake, a series I've been know to furiously masturbate to, absolutely delight me. The main character is an absolute joy to control just, just Ahh so good. Now I'm going to stop here because I do actually plan to do a full review of this game very soon.







Image result for sekiro shadows die twice
Number Nine: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Okay here's another game I still haven't finished for a number of reasons. I work alot y'know I don't just review games once a month. No I work a full time job, I've been distracted by other things oh and this game kicks my nuts up through my mouth. Dear god FromSoftware certainly hasn't lost their touch when it comes to brutal difficulty. Sekiro does however do enough to differentiate itself from FromSoftwares other games and I personally love the changes, I love the setting, hell I even love the main character which barely ever happens in Soulslike games. So will I ever get around to reviewing well possibly when hell freezes over and I can actually beat the damn thing. Still great game though.




Image result for Luigi's Mansion 3
Number Eight: Luigi's Mansion 3

So I was never really the biggest fan of the original Luigi's Mansion and hell I never even played Dark Moon. So I wasn't one of the people overly excited for the next installment of the series but holy shit. I played quite a bit of this game when my friend let me play their Switch while I was visited them and I fell in love. This game looks so goddamn good I think I had like four orgasms before I even started playing. The gameplay is solid, the music is fantastic and I absolutely fell in love. I don't own a Switch of my own yet so I haven't had a chance to finish the game but when I pick up a Switch hopefully next year this is a game that I am absolutely going to pick up.








Image result for yooka-laylee and the impossible lair
Number Seven: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair


Talk about a 180! I never played Yooka-Laylee when it came out, not because I wasn't looking forward to it. In fact I've been missing my bear and bird combo for over two decades now, but because it wasn't exactly well received when it came out. So I skipped it, but this one however whoo boy I jumped right on that when I had the chance. Turning the game into a side scroller similar to that of Donkey Kong Country was brilliant. The gameplay is rock solid I fell in love with Yooka and Laylee and the titular Impossible Lair is a fantastically difficult level to overcome and I love how you can tackle it at anytime. This game is wonderful and if you didn't like the first game and chose not to give this one a try, I urge you to reconsider.





Related image
Number Six: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order



Wait. EA published a good Star Wars game? One that made my top twelve games of the year? AND THERE'S NO LOOTBOXES!?!? I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the apocalypse folks and while I wouldn't put it past EA to shovel loot boxes or microtransacation bullshit into this game, or completely fuck up the next one, I'm going to take my time and enjoy the fact that here and now is a really good single player Star Wars game. Another Soulslike too actually and one that I could actually play competently. It feels great to play, I love the characters, it looks really good aside from a hiccup here and there. It just feels great to say we have a good Star Wars game again. Hell at the very least it's better than the fucking movie.





Related image
Number Five: The Outer Worlds


Dear fucking god do I love this game! Again one I haven't finished since I recently picked it up but this game has shown me just what Obsidian is capable of. I never really played Fallout: New Vegas and this game has shown me why I should flog myself with extension cord for allowing that crime to happen. Everything that people used to praise Bethesda for is better here, and I do mean everything. Obsidian is better than Bethesda that is just a fact now I'm going to keep this short because I wanna go play more Outer Worlds.







Image result for bloodstained ritual of the night
Number Four: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Here we have an example of a game that I love so much it physically hurts. I got a taste with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon last year (which incidentally also made my Top 12 games of the year) that I couldn't wait for this game. And to be blunt Kogi Igarashi and his team knocked it out of the motherfucking park. This is a game that I haven't been able to stop playing, I love the setting, I love the characters, I love the gameplay. Like I wanna make sweet, sweet passionate love to this game. I never played Symphony of the Night but that just made my experiences with this game all the better. I love ya Ritual of the Night, I truly do.






Image result for Fire Emblem Three Houses
Number Three: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

This one I'll keep brief because I only got a small taste of this game admittedly but I absolutely loved what I played. The gameplay of Fire Emblem is something that I have always loved and it's even better here. The Story in this game is really cool, the large cast of characters are really fun and interesting. This is a game that I honestly thought wouldn't work with its concept and the number of characters but it absolutely does and this game is the second reason I'm chomping at the bits to pick up a Switch as soon as possible





Image result for Resident Evil 2
Number Two: Resident Evil 2

And here is a game that is a fantastic example of a remake done right. Don't get me wrong I really liked Link's Awakening too but this one, oh my god the love and care that went into this game is astounding. And what amazed me was how much I loved this game when I never even played the original. The gameplay is solid, the story is great. I already loved Leon because of prior experiences with him but this game really made me appreciate how cool Claire is. And lest we forget that this game fucking terrified me, from that enormous goddamn alligator or crocodile whatever it is, Fuck it I'm gonna call it the HolyShitadile, to the lumbering and the deadly Mr. X. These two fuckers haunted my goddamn dreams for a long while and I just couldn't get enough.







Image result for A Plague Tale Innocence
Number One: A Plague Tale: Innocence

And this was it, this was the one that while I was writing these down this game just kept getting moved up and it surprised even me. But this is a game that has stayed with me all year, it's another one that scared the shit out of me but this one did it with rats. I honestly think I have a phobia of rats now and it's because of this game. I love the characters and I desperately wanted them to be okay and that's one of the best things a game like this can make me do. I'm not going into alot of detail here but honestly if you have not played this game. Just do it and then come back and apologize because A Plague Tale: Innocence is the best game of 2019.



Comments

Popular Posts