DefiantParrot's Top 12 Games of 2020

 

There were some good things this year, I know that it's pretty easy to forget that but it's important to remember the good that came about in 2020. So it's that time again folks, here I will tell you my top 12 games of the year, disclaimer as always. Yes I have played all of these games, No that doesn't necessarily mean that I have beaten or completed all of these games or that I even own them but that's what reviews are for. Every one of these games will receive a full review at some point assuming that I don't die young from depression.

No bad Parrot positive thoughts, positive thoughts!

These are the 12 Best Games of 2020!


Number Twelve: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

So here's one I didn't really expect much from, with the trainwreck that was Pro Skater 5 and with the many years of shitty Tony Hawk games when I heard about this remake of two classics I was prepared for the worst. But color me impressed this a damn good game and a damn good remake. Technically it's two games which is why it's low on my list but this was alot of fucking fun to play. Vicarious Visions has been doing phenomenal work as of late and this one is no different. This game is a fantastic love letter to the series and those of use who grew up with the skateboarding series and I think it is also a great fucking place for newcomers to start out, if you've never played a Tony Hawk game and are curious to try one out, please let it be this one. 



Number Eleven: Journey to the Savage Planet

Here's another one I didn't expect alot of out of, Journey to the Savage planet came out really early in 2020 back when we thought the year wouldn't be a disease riddled bag of soft scrotums so hopes were alot higher is what I'm saying. This game is a decent first person shotter/explorative game and believes that its style and humor will help set it apart from so many other similar games like Far Cry and No Man's Sky. Well in this case it did just enough to always stay in the back of my mind as 2020 was gearing us to kick us all in the plums. I had fun playing this game, exploring the mostly open world, seeing the lovely sights and different creatures and I had a good chuckle most of the time. I do say most of the time because sometimes the humor did fall flat and the game did become repetetive at a point which is why it's low on my list but that doesn't counter balance I did have exploring this savage planet.


Number Ten: Paper Mario: The Origami King

I am a massive fan of the original Paper Mario, I had hours of fun playing through the game when I used to rent it as a tiny little bird. I never played The Thousand Year Door but I do know that it is the gold standard for Paper Mario games and ever since then the Paper Mario series hasn't been exactly what fans wanted. Super Paper Mario had its fans and I don't hear good things about Color Splash or Sticker Star so I was nervous when I heard about this game but bugger my biscuits if I didn't have a good time playing it. The game has a unique flavor all its own with the use of Origami and the circular combat arena this differentiates itself from its predecessors in alot of good ways. While I still prefer the original over this one, Origami King was alot of fun to play through, it is true I haven't touched it since playing it however, so take that for what you will.


Number Nine: Resident Evil 3

Oh fuck was I looking forward to this game, after how much I loved the RE2 Remake I was looking forward to finally getting a taste of RE3. This game is a bitter pill for me because I cannot state how much I fucking loved playing through this game and I've replayed it a good three times since I first got it. The game is gorgeous, the gameplay is sublime and Nemesis freaked me the fuck out a couple times and I fell in fucking love with Jill Valentine. This was the game that made Jill my favorite Resident Evil character finally surpassing Leon but this game is held back by its length as a good chunk of the original game was cut and Nemesis isn't nearly as imposing as Mr. X was in the previous remake. But this was a damn good time and I hope, I fucking pray I get to spend some more time with this version of Jill in the near future. 


Number Eight: Carrion

Ever wanted to be the monster from The Thing? This is the game for you then! This game is a power fantasy plain and simple and the entire point of it is to cause bloody destruction and mayhem as you rampage your way around and facility and brutally kill everyone in your path. It's fucking awesome if not a bit disturbing but I'm a pussy what can I say. Carrion is a truly unique experience it's not a standard stealth game or a typical frenzy affair this game is damn unique and will leave a lasting impression with anyone who plays it. The game never got old in my time with it, slamming helpless victims around or the various different puzzles that were enough to even entertain me, someone who isn't the biggest fan of puzzles Carrion is great across the board and I urge anyone to give it a try. 


Number Seven: Doom Eternal

From one gory game to another, fucking hell is this game fun. This is a game that myself and Moses especially was looking forward too and man this game rarely disappointed us. It's gorgeous, it's violent, it's hectic, it's frantic it is everything that we wanted in a sequel to Doom 2016. The emphasis on some new platforming aside I loved most everything in this game. It focusing a bit more on story and the lore of the universe was like a fucking Christmas present to me I did not expect that and I was all for it. It's the same fantastic gameplay that made the last Doom such a smash hit and this is more of it and we loved out time kicking ass in Hell. 


Number Six: Nioh 2

I never finished the first Nioh it's not that it didn't click with me I just got distracted by other things and I of course got killed alot. Same thing here in Nioh 2 I did not finish it, I dies a fuckton of alot and I had to move on to other things but what these games do have in common is how fucking good they are. Me being a weak ass player aside Nioh 2 is fucking great. Nioh 2 takes everything that the first game had and just improves upon it over and over again but don't think it makes it easier, no sir. The game is difficult but not unfair and that's the perfect balance a Soulslike has to strive to achieve and Nioh 2 hits that perfectly. I will say this game did irritate me with another silent fucking protaganist but I quickly got over that as I startedc playing and of course dying. While the story isn't the best, the gameplay and world and just hpw fun and gorgeous this game is did keep bringing me back for more than its predecessor did and that's a sign of a damn good sequel.


Number Five: Hades

Hades came outta nowhere for me, like I never heard of this game and then one day I saw it everywhere I looked. I was curious to say the least so I gave it a try and yeah, yeah I see why everyone freakin' adores this game. This game is a fucking blast it's a roguelike published by the geniuses at Supergiant Games so when I saw their logo I had a feeling I was in for a good time. The gameplay here is great with a constant feeling of progression as you get stronger a little bit each time. The characters in this game are a fucking delight and the godly abilities are fun as hell to use while equally feeding into my love of Greek Mythology. The enemies are colorfully animated fucking hell this game is gorgeous it has style and it oozes from every random room, every fight, every fucking frame in this game and God I wanna go play some more of it right now!!!!



Number Four: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

So let's mix it up, let's go from being a murderous monster and from blood soaked havoc to the sweet and fantastic world of Animal Crossing. This game is so much and addictive as are the other games in the series. I haven't played alot of the games though I did spend a considerable amount of time in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. This game looks so gorgeous and the cute animal people are as entertaining as ever even if I suspect Tom Nook is gonna break my legs if I don't pay him back. Simply Put: I fucking love Animal Crossing: New Horizons.


Number Three: Final Fantasy VII Remake

I never played the original Final Fantasy VII, I own it on PS1 but I've never played it. The development of the FFVII Remake was a long and winding road for fans and newcomers alike and when I heard that the game would be episodic I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out of my perch, but this does feel likeca full experience. Maybe it's because I never played the original but I had a blast playing this from beginning to end and getting to fall in love with characters I'd only ever heard about before now. Cloud is awesome, Tifa is my wifu, Barret is a badass and I fucking adore Aerith now. I don't know when the next installment is coming out but if this is just a taste of the experience I cannot fucking wait.


Number Two: Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

You're goddamned right it is!! Crash 3 was so good and this game is even better in my opinion. The gameplay is stellar, it looks so good that it's an orgasm for the eyes, the characters are an amazing delight. The different characters are fun to play as, completing this game is a chore no doubt but the different outfits for Crash and Coco are awesome and fun to unlock. Dingodile maybe the best character ever created the different masks add a fun new dynamic to the gampelay. For being a platformer there's enough variety to never get bored and I had a big fucking smile on my face the entire time I played this. I love you Crash, I really do.


Number One: Ghost of Tsushima

Sucker Punch you sexy bastards, this game is a fucking delight. The gameplay here is fun and engaging, the world is gorgeous and lush and vibrant as hell. The story and characters are a joy to behold. This game easily reminds me of the fantastic samurai movies of old and brings the same feeling I had watching those classics. The stealth mechanics are fun to use and silently taking down enemies is just as fun as battling them head on. Honestly what else can I say this game is a blast and Sucker Punch has knocked it out of the park with the game and free updates later on. Tsushima is easily the best game of 2020.



















Comments

Popular Posts